Vintage cooking: Potato dijonnaise

Dinner tonight was a recipe from my favourite vintage cookbook. It is a 1950's book that I got for my birthday from a friend two years ago. I already tried a couple of things and so far everything turned out delicious. I tried to incorporate a feel for seasonal fruit and veg and my granny's housekeeping book told me that at this time of year, offers are limited. Canned and preserved food from last autumn would be almost gone by now and new crop still has to grow.
So I opted for something simple that can be made from preserved goods. The recipe is a dish for potatoes in a sauce made from flour, butter and stock to which you add bacon, 1 spoonful of musterd and red wine. Voila! Done.
It tasted nice and again was done in no time. One funny thing about the cookbook. It has barely any measures given in the recipes. All it says is "take potatoes, make a sauce base from flour, butter and stock, then add..." Not a single word about grams or mililiters. Back then, woman obviously knew how to measure. I hope to (re-)discover this talent along the way, too.
But now without further ado, some pics of the process:

 Boil potatoes with peel until soft
 Fry bacon in a pan and let leek out on kitchen paper to remove excess fat
 Melt a bit of butter, dust with flour and stir to get a paste
 Slowly add stock and red wine to the paste to create the base for the sauce. Also add some musterd




Comments