Hugh knows best

Hi there!

I am standing in the kitchen a lot lately. Not because I have too, but because I used to love cooking. Then PhD stress happened and I got lazy too busy to persue this hobby. Now that I am a full-time writer (as in arite up that thesis), I try to pick up old hobbies. Next week, it will be a trip to the local gym to sign in for classes.
To kickstart cooking, I bought two books, Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall's "Hugh's three good things" and Nigel Slater's "Kitchen Diary". Both total scores on Amazon for less than 10 (!) euros. I have to admit that I do not follow them religously, but their recepies provide great inspiration. Especially after a long period of uninspired repetitions of the same dishes, these books are a more than welcome breeze of fresh air. Last night, the Mister and me indulged in Hugh's parsnips, onion and sausage dish. Lovely! And perfect end-of-winter food. This is a strange time of year. The supermarkets of course cater whatever you want, but everything is pretty expensive. Exept for the winter staples, so I try to stick to these as seasonal cooking is top on my agenda. I mean, how can you buy strawberries from Kenia, knowing that their CO2 footprint is bigfoot-sized? No, seasonal and regional it is for me. This however means, that at this point you are stuck with carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions, cabbage.... you get the picture. And my repertoire cooking with these ingredients is rather limited. So Hugh's recipe it was and let me tell you, it was DELICIOUS!

Have a peak:



Comments