The big reveal... my kitchen buffet all new and shiny

Hi there,

it is finally time to reveal my latest project. My beloved kitchen buffet from the 50's is all freshly painted and pretty again.I bought this beauty five years ago back in Germany. It was the dullest wood color I had ever seen (look at the before pics). Being a big fan of the 50's, I wanted to customize it without losing its mid-century charme. So the initial colors were off-white for the most part with pastel-green accents and a pastel-colored top. I loved it! It moved to the Netherlands with me and I loved looking at it for the past four years. It just fitted in with the rest of the furniture so lovely.
Then it was time for a change. I moved in with my Mister and he is not into vintage at all. Still, this buffet had to come with me, it was the only point I was very, very clear about. But we needed a compromise. His apartment over time became kind of retro-modern with a strong nod towards scandinavian design. My 50's vintage pieces fitted in quite well for the most part, but the buffet in its current state stood out too much. As in not pleasing. So we repainted it. It got a new coat of off-white paint (two moves really took a toll on that paint), and then accentuated the beautiful woodwork around the windows with grey. The top got a new lining with a wood-paneling look and voila! It blends in way better. Mission accomplished and I again love looking at it.


Before pictures. The buffet consists of two parts. A lot of damage on the coating, it looked really dull. When I cleaned it, I found a couple of third teeth in it.... ewww!



My first finish. Off-white with minty green detailing and a pastel colored top.


Second round. Off-white again, but this time with grey detailing and a wood-panel effect top.

Comments