Some more gardening: Topiary time

Well, autumn is in full swing now. As I am typing this, heavy winds brush the foliage off the trees on our street and low dark clouds travel the sky. Time for a cup of tea and a cozy blanket. But before, I wanted to share with you my very first attempt on topiary.
Topiary? I hear you say. But that's complicated and takes ages to establish.
I am happy to inform you that it is not. And here is why. I did not grow box bushes and trimmed them for years. I just used what I had and went for a slightly faster, yet still very pretty result if I may say so.

Here is what I did.I had this plant sitting on my balcony which was growing untamed. "This plant" is rather vague for a species description, but it was a gift and I have no idea what it actually is. If you know, feel free to drop me a line.


While at the beginning of summer it looked very romantic and wild, tying all the other plants in pots together, it had grown so much over the last six months that it was getting out of control. I did not want to cut it as it was one of the most luscious things I was growing, so I decided to try and reign it in a bit.

This little pyramid has been mine for years and years and went everywhere with me even though I had no use for it. How is that for an aspiring minimalist? Oh well, in the end it came in handy. I popped it into the container with the plant, then wound the long, wildly growing branches of the plant through it and around it.

Here is the result. A pyramid in the making. The bottom looks very nice and covered and there is still plenty of space for the plant to extend to. This whole project took me less than an hour to make and I am really happy with the result. It adds a bit of height and structure to the arrangement of plots on my balcony and the wild, crazy plant looks way more sophisticated this way I think.

Before you click on, I want to leave you with an image of the birds visiting us now. I hung up birdfeed two weeks ago, and there are a few regular guests already. The reason why I started feeding birds already is that they are exhausted from breeding and raising their offspring and need to prepare for winter. The landscaping in our part of the city is rather dull so I wanted them to have an extra source of food. This time of year, birds also start looking for food sources so by introducing them to our spot now means less stress for them to search around in winter. The food is a ball made from seeds and fat and I hung it up in a way that I can see the birds from my office window. They are not shy anymore and even stay while I am moving around behind my desk. Cute little fellas!




Comments